Friday, January 2, 2009

Instruments in His Hands, AKA Angels in Disguise

You all know them ... they are the ones who become answers to our prayers. I was too tired to finish my post last night, but I wanted to mention the instruments in His hands or the angels in disguise who have helped me over the past few months. They are:

- a husband who sees me leave for work at 6:45am and knows I won't be home until 7:15pm and sends me an email at work that says, "Honey, what would you like me to make you for dinner tonight?"

- kids who love and appreciate their mom and decide to go shopping and get her several presents so she has something to open on Christmas morning.

- a friend at work who goes downstairs to the kitchen to get me some hot chocolate because my back hurts so bad that I can't even get up out of my chair (she also sneaks me treats throughout the day).

- sisters and a mom who text me from time to time and ask if there is anything they can help me with.

- a friend who searches for wedding attire for me while she is out shopping and then spends an entire day helping me find something to wear to the wedding.

- a daughter who gives me a shoulder massage after I've been at the computer for 15 hours.

- a friend who comes over and creates neighbor gift tags, cuts them all out, and attaches them to my neighbor gifts so they're ready to deliver.

- a friend who helps me through a crying episode at work and whose empathy helped me when I was hurting.

- a friend who calls at the exact right moment when I needed to talk and complain about all my stress.

- family whose blog posts helped me through the Christmas season. Even though I didn't have time to comment on all your posts, I always found time to make it a priority to read them, and I was touched (more on this later).

- a daughter-in-law whose cute little baby tummy makes me smile in anticipation of being a grandma!

- a son whose smartness and hard work inspire me when things seem too hard at work.

- a friend who invites me and my family over for dinner because she "made too much." It's no secret that she does this to help me when I'm stressed.

- a son who tells me he loves me and gives me a big hug every time he sees me.

- a friend who rearranges her whole day to cut and color Kimee's and my hair for the wedding.

- a son and daughter-in-law whose temple marriage made my heart very, very happy.

- neighbors whose Christmas treats came at the exact moment when I was having a chocolate attack.

- a friend who invites us to stay at her house for 4 days while I recover from all the stress and do things I want to do and haven't had time to do for quite some time.

- people who asked me to do things for them in my busiest weeks ... why should I be grateful for them? Because service means sacrifice, and it's a chance to prove to my Heavenly Father that I can serve and sacrifice even when I don't have time.

Anyway, I could go on and on, but the point is that I could not have made it through the past few months without help from family, friends, and a kind Savior who has "directed my paths." Thanks to all of you who are answers to prayers, sweet angels in disguise.

3 comments:

Shorty said...

Oh Shelley, you had me in tears reading about all the people who have helped you get through your busy busy time! You have some wonderful friends and I'm so thankful that they help my daughter when her mom and sisters aren't there. You are so lucky; they must all love you very much and I'm sure you do tons of things for them. I know that you are always there to help me with things when I need your help or advice. You are getting payback for all the wonderful things you do for others! Love you!!

karen louise said...

I think you are an amazing person, Shelley! And you do so many things for other people--it's a blessing to have you in my life, as well, I'm sure, as many, many others. You deserve a major cruise or something for your stressful past few months! Do NOT touch or even look at my thesis until you have no more stress--I"m serious! Thank you, for all the help you continue to give me, even when you are stressed yourself!

Julie said...

That was amazing to read Shelley and I had tears in my eyes by the end of reading it. You have some really amazing friends that helped you through all this. They have always been there for you and helped you in so many ways. They love you so much. I am grateful that you have those friends to help you and be with you when all of your sisters are clear down in Orem. They are great friends and I love them too and I felt bad I got their names mixed up..hope they still like me. Ha Ha! Thanks for the post and know that I thought of you every day durring all this and I prayed for you. You are a wonderful sister and I love ya tons!!!!!!