It was one week before our ward Sacrament meeting Christmas program. The ward music chairman asked me, "I would really like to have orchestral instruments playing in the background during the narration for the program. Who do you think would be able to organize that in a week's time?"
I told her the name of one of the busiest, most talented sisters I know in the ward. She said, "Really? But she is sooo busy. How will she ever have time?"
I replied, "Busy people get things done." She laughed for a second as if I weren't serious, and I said, "Really, busy people get things done."
And you know what? It is so true. Yes, that sister pulled it off in a week's time. She played the violin and got a flutist, another violinist, and a cellist to play with her--and it was beautiful.
As I look back at the past month and a half during which I have been postless on my blog (sorry, but even busy people have to let some things go sometimes), I am amazed at the ways in which a kind Father in Heaven has helped me through some stressful times. It all seems a blur now, but my victory list includes the following:
1. Went to all Kimee's Beauty and the Beast performances
2. Took McKay and Jen's wedding announcement photos
3. Photoshopped the photos
4. Designed the wedding announcement and prepared it for printing
5. Edited the wedding address list
6. Printed labels for the announcements
7. Designed the temple card inserts
8. Printed the maps
9. Edited a customer's dissertation several times
10. Practiced Sleigh Ride for a week (a duet for the Christmas party)
11. Went to Jen's shower
12. Went to Jen's endowment
13. Went to Kimee's aCapella concert
14. Went to Kimee's choir concert
15. Searched high and low for wedding reception attire
16. Got paper goods for wedding luncheon
17. Created wedding slide show
18. Enjoyed McKay and Jennifer's wedding day and reception
19. Made a mad dash to finish (ahem, start) Christmas shopping
20. Practiced 49 hours for the ward Sunday Christmas program
21. Went to McKay and Jen's gift-opening party
22. Enjoyed Christmas with family
23. Taught gospel doctrine lesson to 15 year olds every other Sunday
24. Endured several physical problems due to stress
25. Programmed tax forms full time and overtime with only one day of vacation through all this (the wedding day)!
The fact that I finished the list and made it through is nothing short of one big miracle, but there were several small miracles that happened along the way--proof that in hard times, we are being watched over, protected, and strengthened by our Heavenly Father and His son, Jesus Christ, who make our heavy burdens light as we are faithful and obedient.
My challenge to each of you for this new year is to keep a "Victory List," a list that you add something to every time you accomplish something great or small in your life. Every month, review your Victory List and ponder the ways in which your Heavenly Father helped you through those victories. Your faith in Him will grow as you begin to realize that nothing is impossible with God's help and love. Here's to a great year!
4 comments:
Thank you so much for your post! Yes, you are right...busy people like YOU get things done! You are totally amazing Shelley...I'm so sorry I was not more available to help you over December for all of the wedding stuff....I should have asked you!!!! I'm so sorry.
Thank you for being an awesome sister--I really do love you, and you are such a great example to me!! A victory list, yes...I will be doing that-thanks for the invite! Maybe one of my victories can be a wedding of my own this year ;)
Happy New Year!!
Thank Shelley, I really needed to hear that right now. No one knows how much, thanks. I can't believe all that you did, I could never do all that. You are amazing and such a big example in my life. I look up to you every day and wish I could be like you. You do such awesome work in everything you do and you have your head on straight. You accomplish so much in your life and I'm proud of you. I hope things slow down for you soon especially since I really need a scrapbook party BAD at your house. I love you and thanks again for the post.
Wow! Shelley! I can't even imagine getting all that done! Well, it would take me a whole year! You are the most awesome daughter; I am sooo proud of you and all the accomplishments you have achieved in your life. You have done a wonderful job of raising your children. Sounds like you need a big vacation after doing all that!! And, you are right, the busiest people get things done. I only get things done under pressure; like I have had 17 days off work and I didn't get all the things done I wanted to. Because I didn't have to! I have just been a couch potatoe, actually a movie potatoe for the past 2 weeks! That's a cool idea to have a victory list!!!! I love you so much Shelley!
Shelley, You are truley an amazing person! I would have freaked out with all that stuff going on! Mckay's and Jen's wedding was wonderful and you did an amazing job on getting it all put together while working and trowing your back out! I so wish we lived next door so that i could help you out or be there when you needed someone! Kick the people out next door and i'll move in!!!! I love your idea about the Victory list! I will for sure be doing that! This year has been my hardest one yet and i'm not sure there was any vicyory celebrating but, it's a new year with a fresh new start! I love you Shelley and i'm grateful for your wonderful example and your shining spirit that lift me up! You have an amazing family!
Post a Comment